August 6, 2010

If I Chose U2's Setlist...

U2 360º Tour, Nou Camp, Barcelona, Cataluña, E...Image by publikaccion.es via Flickr
After tonight's amazing open in Italy, fans all over the world are posting, tweeting and sharing their pictures, videos and thoughts on the night.

Being that I work in a creative position, I am always in my head, trying to think of how I would do things. Here is my ideas for what U2 could realistically try on this tour.

The idea is to keep U2 fans feeling they are getting something unique and special, while keeping the core of the show still in harmony with where U2's head are at. I explain my thinking below this setlist, and then offer a revised setlist to show you what some of those changes would look like:

1. Magnificent^
2. Get On Your Boots^^
3. Mysterious Ways^^
4. Beautiful Day^^^
5. I Still Haven't Found/Stand By Me
6. Staring At The Sun*
7. North Star
8. Glastonbury
9. Elevation
10. I Will Follow**
11. October****
12. Until The End of The World
13. The Unforgettable Fire
14. City of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo
16. Crazy Remix++
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. New Year's Day+
19. MLK/Walk On
20. Desmond/One
21. Amazing Grace/Streets

22. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me+++
23. With Or Without You
24. Bad/40

25. No Line on The Horizon

^For Magnificent, the lights stay on through Space Oddity and Stingray Guitar, then shut off quick as the song morphs into the first guitar strum of Magnificent, and then come on like normal at each subsequent one.

^^You could flip these two songs and surprise people a little.

^^^depending on what song plays before it, you could bring back the intro keyboards before Beautiful Day.

*Song 6 could be the slot for surprising fans. U2 could easily play a handful of songs after ISHFWILF. I'd suggest these as alternates: All I Want Is You, Stay, Stuck In A Moment, Party Girl, Desire, In A Little While, Electrical Storm, maybe an acoustic Wild Horses? I do have to say, though, Staring at The Sun does offer some video-space themes possibilities, by name alone.

**After Elevation, song 10 could also offer some options for variety in future shows. Being that October is song 11 in my setlist, U2 has an opportunity to play an older song to create a quick vibe from the old days. In addition to I Will Follow, I'd suggest U2 could play these songs as alternates: Out of Control, Gloria, or 11 O'clock Tick Tock.

****You could also remove song 10 and move October up to that spot, and do the old U2 staple of October into New Year's Day, then into Until The End of The World.

+ If you pull New Year's Day up to play after October, you could swap any of those songs to play after Sunday Bloody Sunday, cuz to keep U2 fans thinking this is a special show, you need to break up the usual flow here. I Will Follow, Out of Control, or even Drowning Man could work here.

++During the Crazy Remix, you keep the Discotheque snippet, and also add a quick homage to Lemon.

+++of course, you can switch Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, with Ultraviolet.

At the close, for NLOTH, I say when 40 ends and the crowd is singing, you bring up the Claw's lights, NOT the stadium lights, and fake people out for a moment, as if the show is over due to the brighter lights being on. Then Bono can say something sarcastic or cheesy, and they start NLOTH.  I say they run a montage of all the vids used during the show, as a recap, like the song being the title track on the album. Wraps it all up nicely. Maybe turn the cameras on the crowd, too, and mix that in as well. The montage gets faster and spins at the end, until the last guitar note is strum, then it grays out into the album cover as the guitar note fades...

Ok, after typing what I just did, I am thinking I like some of these options better than my original.  lol, This is what an alternate setlist could look like with my favorite of the above-mentioned changes:



1. Magnificent
2. Mysterious Ways
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Beautiful Day
5. I Still Haven't Found
6. All I Want Is You
7. North Star
8. Glastonbury
9. Elevation
10. October
11. New Year's Day
12. Until The End of The World
13. The Unforgettable Fire
14. City of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo
16. Crazy Remix
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. Drowning Man
19. MLK/Walk On
20. Desmond/One
21. Amazing Grace/Streets

22. Ultraviolet
23. With Or Without You
24. Bad/40

25. No Line On The Horizon

Share




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment