August 21, 2010

U2: Helsinki Night 2: 8/21/10

At least once during every tour, there is one show where die-hard U2 fans get what they want: a changed setlist. Tonight, at least for now, was that show, in Helsinki. It began during U2's rehearsals, in which songs, like Bad, No Line On The Horizon (acoustic), I Will Follow, and Pride were run through, and easily overheard by fans outside the stadium. U2ters spread the news quickly through social media and excitement was built, even though there was no guarantee that the songs would make the setlist immediately. U2 has been known to practice songs many nights in advance of their appearance during the live show. 

Then the show lived up to U2ter's expectations. Not only did U2 play I Will Follow (for the first time ever on U2360), No Line On The Horizon (acoustic), and Pride, they also surprised people with "Every Breaking Wave", the song Bono had once called the first single from the "Songs of Ascent" album. To make room for the new songs, "The Unforgettable Fire", "Until The End of The World" and (surprisingly) "Sunday Bloody Sunday" were not played. 
In my opinion, as a die-hard U2ter, I can live with those losses for one night, so I can enjoy a changed setlist, which of course, brings a whole new vibe to the show. 


Here is what they played:

The Return of The Stingray Guitar
Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
No Line On The Horizon
Elevation
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Every Breaking Wave
Glastonbury
In A Little While
Miss Sarajevo
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Crazy Tonight
Pride
MLK
Walk On

One
Amazing Grace/Where The Streets Have No Name
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me KillMe
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender

I Will Follow:


I Still Hsven't Found What I'm Looking For:



Every Breaking Wave: (courtesy of U2gigs.com)


With Or Without You:


Moment of Surrender:

No comments:

Post a Comment